The park at Russborough was shaped to match Joseph Lesson's ambitions, with a formal design in place from its very inception. In 1742 alone, over 21,000 trees were planted. This transitional period is still reflected in the landscape here where the remnants of the vast lawn and six terraces with a shaped pond in the middle can be appreciated to the north, facing front of the house. Meanwhile to the south there is a more naturalistic prospect with rolling fields, serpentine lakes and ancient trees on grassy hillocks. It remains an almost intact surviving example of an 18th century Irish demesne, the endurance of which is remarkable, given that so many others have been lost - with features such as our Walled Garden, the ice-house, the lime kiln and the serpentine lakes.
The Beits also made their mark on Russborough's parklands and gardens, employing one of the most influential landscape gardeners of his time, James Russell to lead projects over some 30 years from 1953 onwards. Many of Russell's idea were unrealised, but several important features are key to the demesne's charms, including planting up the Woodland & Rhododendron Garden and the planting of pyramids of roses in the Walled Garden.